- A variety of pumpkins or acorn squashes1 6-inch terra cotta pot
- Serrated knifets
- Drill with drill bits
- Apple corer, carrot peeler, melon baller
- Wide spoon
- Votive candles
1. Take your acorn squash and cut around the cap at an angle to create the lid. Next, gut the squash as you would a pumpkin.
4. Insert your candle and hang your jack-o-lanterns from your front porch at varying heights or in a tree in your yard. You can also decorate your patio or porch with these unique creations.
1. Draw an image onto your pumpkin with a pen. Next, take your melon baller or carrot peeler and carefully dig out shallow sections of pumpkin skin making sure not to pierce all the way through.
3. When you are satisfied with the glow, carve a small opening in the back of the pumpkin so the candle flame can get enough oxygen to stay lit*#151;it will depend on the size of your pumpkin. Begin with one small hole and light your candle. If the candle’s flame is weak, enlarge your opening or carve another. You may want to create holes in the cap as well or choose not to place the cap on the pumpkin while the candle is lit.
Use a variety of shapes and faces when you carve this year’s jack-o-lanterns